Post Turkey Day

Actually we didn’t eat any turkey on Thanksgiving. I had tofu, so let’s call it post-tofu day. 

I had to get a Covid test this morning prior to my surgery on Monday. I also got blood work done as well. Then it was back home to isolate and I took that quite seriously. I didn’t leave the house at all. And while I intended to decorate for Christmas, I was consumed with finishing the puzzle. It took us 23 days but we finally finished it! 


While the puzzle was a major challenge, I find myself this evening thinking about an even greater challenge - parenting. Every stage is different: the infant/toddler stage requires 24 attention. As they grow older, it gets easier, they require less supervision. And then something happens. They start to isolate and do their own thing (for the boy, it’s video games; for the girl, it’s watching videos), and the parenting gets harder again. Everything becomes a chore, literally. Wash your dish, feed the cats, do your laundry, put away your laundry, read a book, wear a jacket, go for a walk…we’re no longer the voice of love and affection but more like taskmasters, and the prisoners don’t really appreciate that. 

It’s harder when you’re sick and have to take a time out. Tweens take advantage of that and go into hiding for extended periods of time. But even when you’re not sick and nursing your wounds or wasted from chemo, it takes energy to get them to do stuff and often you have to lead by example, even when you don’t feel like it. I had to explain to the girl that I’m like Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio, I’m her conscience, trying to be the voice of reason, pushing her to make the best choices in life. What more could you want as a parent, but that your children are healthy, safe, happy, and the best version of themselves. With my surgery coming up, I know I’m going to have more time on the sidelines, and I’ll be missing out on being the best parent, but I’ll be wishing for the kids to take up those independent reins and do more for themselves and for the family without being told. 

Comments

Popular Posts