The Wonder Drug

Prednisone is considered by many to be a wonder drug. It’s a corticosteroid that magically reduces inflammation and heals all sorts of ailments, from herniated disks to Lupus. But I won’t sugar coat it, frankly I don’t love it. I’m taking it to correct my weakened eyes (ocular myasthenia) but for the little benefit I’ve received (I still have double vision), I’ve instead been handed a host of unfortunate and uncomfortable side effects. In a matter of 3 months, I went from having low to normal cholesterol to high cholesterol because of the prednisone. (Ask me how I know this? What do you think I was researching on my phone at 4 am after a second trip to the bathroom?) The urge to pee is unrelenting, all day and night.  The constant hunger and weight gain are frustrating to say the least. I feel a near-constant neuropathic pain around my whole body all day. I bruise easily and heal slowly. 



The wonder drug has been far from wonderful. I feel like a shell of myself. Today was one of those woe-is-me kinda days, feeling sorry for how miserable I feel - the achiness and weakness, the stiffness and spasticity. I’m ready for bed, praying tomorrow is a better day.


Comments

Popular Posts