Deported - Farewell

I spent the past couple of days in water world with my family, first on a beach day and then on a pool day, all in celebration of the last days of summer and in preparation for my port removal. I (safely) soaked up the sun and thoroughly enjoyed myself. 


I took one last photo of my port. It's been with me this since last July and while it hasn't really bothered me (except when wearing a seat belt or carrying a bag), and it was a blessing to have through the treatment process, I am glad to see it go, as a way of moving on from everything. 


I woke up this morning mentally ready to be "deported." Matt asked me if I was nervous and I said not at all. Getting the port put in was such a scary prospect for me. It was in the beginning of this journey when everything was scary. I was so nervous at the time, they had to give me anti-anxiety meds just to get through the procedure. This time, I walked in ready to go. 


I had a very lovely physician assistant do the procedure. She was very kind and played cool island vibes music. A nurse held my hand so I didn't get too nervous. Within thirty minutes, the port was out and I was all stitched up. I was in an out of the hospital in about two hours. 


And now I am back home recovering with ease. With an ice pack and a nap, it'll be like nothing happened, just a regular Tuesday.

The port is gone. The cancer is gone. The thymus is gone. My work here is done. I still have to visit the oncologist every three months, and I follow up with mammograms every six months, and I take my meds for the next five to ten years. But I am ready to move on, to get back to my regular life. I am taking three classes right now, working hard to reinvent myself. And I got offered a new job that I start next month. Life has turned around for me, finally. And I couldn't be more grateful.

You have faithfully followed my journey, you have faithfully prayed for me and carried me through so many difficult days. I will never forget your love and care, it has meant the world to me. In my darkest moments (and I had plenty), I felt held and I know that it was because of you. Thank you for everything...truly. I pray that all of the kindness and loving care that I received will be returned to you a hundredfold. Blessings on you, thank you, I love you. 







Comments

Popular Posts