Updated Schedule

Mondays are the check-in with the radiation oncologist. The doctor gave me good news today that he doesn't believe I need the additional days of radiation, the cone down they call it. It's a more focused form of radiation, but considering I came out of chemo with a pathologic complete response and the surgery went so well with completely clear margins, he does not see the benefit of adding more focused radiation on that area, so I am finished this Wednesday.

Matt said that I seemed kind of sad when he said so, and I think it not only caught me off guard, but it also left me feeling out of my comfort zone again. I've read about this happening to cancer patients, where you build a routine of doing something for your health and get a sense of security that people are looking out for you and then things change. You get used to your weekly or monthly appointments and then they say, oh, you can come every six months, and now you can come once a year; it can be a little disconcerting when medical professionals are checking on your health regularly and so closely and then release you back into the world. That's where you got sick in the first place...

But I digress, I am pleased that I have less radiation, and I will still return in a month for him to check on me, so that's good news all around. 

I have been laser focused in the meantime trying to get in more calories, so today I began the day with half a jalapeƱo bagel with scallion cream cheese, then I made a delicious turmeric, ginger, and coconut curry fish stew over jasmine rice. It was so good, I ate two bowls! For dinner, I made the kids acai bowls with granola and fruit and made a small one for myself. Then later when I made Matt a green salad with chicken, I made a small one for myself with a ton of ranch dressing (that's 130 calories per 2 tbsp!) and I ended up eating two bowls! I have to take it slowly and put on the weight little by little, otherwise I run the risk of gallstones, but I'm just happy I could eat and eat some more. 

I hope this is a sign of good things to come. 



Comments

Popular Posts