2 for the price of 1

Who doesn't love a good BOGO sale - you buy one, you get one.  Well, how lucky am I that along with my breast cancer, I also get a thymoma.  Yes, you heard right.  Actually, if it wasn't for the breast cancer, I may not have even known about this nearly 5 cm mass growing behind my breast bone, but thanks to all of these scans, it was discovered.  That's how lots of people find it, by chance, scanning for other unrelated reasons. 

So what does this mean? Well, it means I’ll need surgery to remove it. It’s likely (hopefully) a benign tumor on my thymus. It means cutting my chest open and cutting it out of me. (Yikes!) But the priority right now is treating the far more life threatening breast cancer. I should begin treatments as soon as possible, and then later when I cross the threshold into breast surgery, I can potentially have both surgeries done at once. 

Two for the price of one! (That's probably not how the hospital will charge me though!)


This is the blue gown from my ultrasound today.  There may potentially be one small (8 mm) spot on the right breast, but without a biopsy, we won't know for sure if it's part of the cancer clan.  I believe a consult is in order to determine next steps.  


Comments

Popular Posts