The Halfway Mark

When I was a kid, I distinctly remember not wanting to go bed at night. My mom would stay up to watch tv and I would sneak next to her on the sofa hoping she wouldn’t notice me and watch tv too (she would of course notice me… during commercial breaks!).  The term for this is FOMO; I didn’t want to sleep because I didn’t want to miss out on anything. Lucky for me the steroid I take before my infusion gives me energy and keeps me up at night. So what do you do when you’re awake at 3am? You read about Mike Tyson. For some reason he came to mind and I will never forget one of his most famous bouts. It was the summer of 1988, I was 10 years old and staying with my aunts, uncles and grandfather in Manhattan. There was soda and food on the table and the excitement was palpable. Mike Tyson was only 21 years old and he managed to knock out his much taller opponent in only 91 seconds! It was the most expensive fight in history at the time and the fastest knockout! Everyone was screaming and raving about this fight for a long time. I’m not sure why this was on my mind, maybe because I feel like I’m fighting. I wish I could knock all of this out of me in 91 seconds, but no such luck. I will keep fighting nonetheless, no matter how many rounds it takes.

So here we go, round 3. I’ve reached the halfway mark! Three down and three to go!


My mom got me set up with my icy apparel. Then she went home so I could take a sweet IV Benny nap (Benadryl).  I came home to some delicious chicken noodle soup. 




After resting at home and making dinner for the family, I decided to go to taekwondo, to get my stripe tape and learn new curriculum. I took it easy, not overdoing it, and I feel good. Hopefully the exercise will help metabolize the chemo and put me in a better place in the coming days. 


Then I closed out the night with a bowl of yogurt and fruit!  Fiber, exercise, and water do a body good! You should try it! 






Comments

Popular Posts