Insurance

Let’s talk numbers. How could a person without insurance survive cancer? I honestly don’t know, but I’ve read horror stories of people losing their jobs and houses because the cost of cancer treatment is astronomic, yes, larger than space itself. One visit for treatment is almost $35,000! Now multiply by six. That’s over $200,000. That doesn’t include the heart scans ($2,000) or the port installation ($13,000). Not to mention the surgery ($?????)! We could have a much larger conversation about the American health care system, or about private insurance and jobs in America, or about the many inequities, but we would be here forever. 

My only takeaway right now is my immense level of gratitude for very good health insurance, for without it, I’m sure my pain would be doubled and tripled by the heartache of medical bills on top of cancer. 





Comments

Popular Posts