Endoscopy and Radiation

I started the day at the crack of dawn to get an endoscopy. I was nervous, of course, never having done this before, but the anesthesia kicked in quickly and before I knew it, the nurse was telling me to wake up. I didn’t want to, I was so tired, but eventually I came to. 


The doctor immediately explained that my stomach was completely full, which shouldn’t have been the case; my last meal was over 14 hours beforehand. He diagnosed me with gastroparesis, a slow emptying stomach, which contributed to the pain, belching, and fullness every day. He is unsure why but the chemo likely caused nerve damage in my stomach causing it not to contract and squeeze the food out the way it should. He prescribed some medicine and a special diet. There is another medicine that will help to contract the stomach, but until I get another test done, he cannot prescribe it. The test isn’t scheduled until the end of February! Until then, I have to follow a strict low fiber, low fat diet.


I came home and fell into a deep sleep and woke to a fever. I was so uncomfortable. But I needed to make my appointment with the radiation oncologist. I have a great team of doctors and I’ve been treated with such compassion and kindness. The doctor sat with me and explained the process. I will start with a CT scan next week and then about a week later begin my 16 days of radiation. He explained the typical side effects, one of which includes fatigue for weeks after treatment. 


I have to start thinking about my work life and whether or not I really have the energy to do it. My new diet will keep me undernourished and the radiation will keep me fatigued. For now, I have to nurse this fever, my student may have given me the flu. Lots to deal with right now. 


Comments

Popular Posts