Adjustment Disorder

When I was younger, my mom liked to move. From the time I was born until I graduated high school, I probably moved about 14 times! That means that most years I had to pack my belongings, start at a new school, and make new friends. Even after high school and into marriage, I’ve moved around another 8 times! I have never had issues with adjusting to life. But things have changed. 

Today I finally met with a therapist, and for our first meeting she asked about 120 questions. All of that was to get a baseline/diagnosis for me. Turns out that I have an adjustment disorder with some depression. Yep, that sounds about right, I’m having trouble adjusting for the first time in my life. I’ve gone to dozens of schools, I’ve had dozens of jobs, I’ve visited dozens of countries, but this, this is what I have trouble adjusting to right now. And it makes sense. In every scenario, I got to be me, I got to hold on to what was at my core, but now, I have had to scrap the “me” I’ve known my whole life for a far more cynical version, one who doesn’t just optimistically think that everything will be alright. I’ve been blindsided by life and I’m still suffering the consequences, so frankly, that’s going to take a lot of adjustment. Thankfully I get to meet with the therapist again tomorrow and talk through how I can come out of this. I’m looking forward to finding myself again and coming to terms with the new me. 


Thank you work family for your love!

Comments

Popular Posts