Physical Therapy

I couldn’t wait to go to my first physical therapy session. I needed to break out of this slump, literally. I’ve been bracing myself and guarding my wound so much that it’s made me stiff and immovable. 

The physical therapist assessed the area and took some baseline measurements for lymphedema. She measured my fingers, wrists, all the way up my arms. Apparently I’m doing alright, except for in my armpit area. She said this is typically a much more tender spot to heal than the breast itself. There is a lot of fluid built up that needed to be rubbed away towards the lymphatic system, so I laid down for her to massage my arm, armpit, and breast. It was definitely a challenge to have someone press, albeit gently, against my incisions, but I know it needed to be done. And she sent me home with homework to do these massages twice a day along with some other stretching exercises to help regain my range of motion. I really want to get stronger, heal (in the right time), and get back to doing some very normal things like lifting literally anything with my left arm without pain. Here goes nothing…



Comments

Popular Posts