IBS

When I was in high school, I had very bad acne. I was so discouraged that I didn’t want to show my face (this was back before you could cover your face with a mask!). I ended up seeing dermatologists who gave me round after round of antibiotics, which frankly did nothing for my skin, and what I didn’t know at the time was that it was wreaking havoc on my digestive system. After a few years of antibiotics and a round of Accutane, I finally gave up and accepted my skin’s fate. But what I was left with was way worse - depression and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). 

I spent my early twenties trying everything I could to heal my digestion. I was vegan and would adjust my diet as much as I could. I tried eliminating yeast, I did not consume any dairy or caffeine, I tried raw foods. I started doing acupuncture and taking herbal remedies. I suffered from pain, gas, and bloating on a regular basis. Eating out often proved a challenge as inevitably I would end up sick over something I ate. Like that time Matt and I went to Bertucci’s - he got a meat pizza, I got a veggie pizza with no cheese, then we went to the movies. By the time we got home, I vomited my whole dinner!

I was “food sick” most often, but that didn’t stop me from eating and enjoying my food. I just paid the price afterwards, unfortunately. After I had children and years of acupuncture, my body changed and I was finally better. It was amazing, I could eat food and not suffer in any way. Even two years ago, while up late working on my master’s degree, I would eat jalapeño pickles at midnight with no problem!

But now, I feel like I’ve been transported back in time. Suddenly I’m back where I was 20 years ago, suffering from stomach pains and digestive issues and getting “food sick” again, but with the added bonus of loss of taste. I’ve walked this road before, and it’s very tiring. So much of our days revolve around food (breakfast, lunch and dinner), as well as celebrations and family gatherings. However my approach to food has been with caution again because I want to shield myself from the pain and suffering I had for so many years. I think this will be a long road ahead of me. I hope I’m wrong, I hope I bounce back quickly but I’m the meantime, I am taking it easy (stress less) and giving my tummy some extra love (not through food!).



Comments

Popular Posts