Portmanteau

Scanxiety. This is a real word, but don’t look it up in the dictionary. It’s real in the cancer world (am I a part of this world now?) Leaning back on my French teaching days, this word is a portmanteau - blending two words to make a new one. So let’s play a game… let’s combine two new words like scan and anxiety. How about lumpsteria (lump hysteria)? Or scarapy (scary therapy)?  Pillverload (pill overload)?

I didn’t have scanxiety today. I relaxed at the pool with my family. I was very present and in the moment, enjoying time with the children, swimming and laughing. 

And then I checked my phone. Two missed calls from the doctor’s office? Ugh. Did the CT scan results come in?? I log in. Yes, they did! What do they say? I don’t know what that means…ugh! Now I need to know (scanxiety)! I call the office back to no avail. 

Now I wait. Remember the book - Don’t Worry. Stay present, enjoy this moment, you’ll find out tomorrow and that’s ok too. 

Comments

Popular Posts