Breast Cancer

 ...and then this happened.  

It all began in mid-April.  I felt a hot, stinging pain in my left breast.  It was something out of the ordinary.  After doing a shower self-check, I discovered a lump.  (Reminder to the ladies, don't forget to do those self-checks!)  I called to schedule a mammogram, only my second one since 2020.  When I described the pain, I was told I needed a diagnostic mammogram.  My general physician sent me to get the mammogram and an ultrasound.  It seems like a million years ago at this point, but when the radiologist came in the room and said he didn't like what he saw, I never could have imagined everything that has happened since then.  

On June 7th I had a breast biopsy.  It was scary, but I had several friends who had one done and reassured me that it was not a big deal and that everything would turn out fine.  

It was on June 13th, as I sat down at work to eat my lunch that I checked my email and realized the results came in.  I opened the report and couldn't understand it.  All I saw was "invasive ductal carcinoma"...what?  I googled it.  Breast cancer.  Very common.  High survival rate.  What??  I tried to call Matt but he didn't answer.  I ran into my boss's office and burst into tears.  It made no sense.  The whole thing didn't make any sense at all.  I was having an out of body experience.

I finally spoke with Matt.  I will never forget the shock on his face.  It still made no sense.  Then I spoke to my parents.  My mother cried and cried.  No sense at all.  

I stayed at work because it was our class party and what better way to distract yourself than to hang out with children. We were writing on each other's shirts and one girl did this  


She had no idea that she was tracing her hand, in pink, over that same spot.  I was touched. 



Comments

Popular Posts